Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance
Posted 2 months ago
Listing Type: Nursing
Employment Type: Nursing
Education Level: ADN/ASN
Experience Level: All
Job Title: (RN ONLY) PICU
Job Req # 24011
Department: 6017-PEDIATRICS ICU
Location: Doctors Hospital at Renaissance
Type of Position: Full-Time
The Pediatric ICU RN manages the nursing care of critically ill pediatric patients in accordance with established policies, procedures and protocols of the healthcare organization. The tasks and responsibilities include:
• Cares for infants and children with critical, chronic and multi-system illnesses and injuries.
• Provides professional nursing service based on the basic concepts of growth and development of infants and children.
• Assesses plans and evaluates patient care needs.
• Carries out physician orders.
• Administers prescribed medications, changes dressings, cleans wounds, monitors vital signs.
• Calculates dosages for and understands the nursing implications of medications used for infants and children.
• Recognizes the uniqueness of pain and pain management in the pediatric population and provides care accordingly.
• Provides family-centered care based on cognitive, psychosocial and developmental considerations for the age of the patient collaborating with families and members of the multidisciplinary team to achieve desired outcomes.
• Provides respiratory and ventilator management and monitoring for patients.
• Serves as the primary coordinator of all disciplines for well coordinated patient care.
• Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
• Instructs and educates patients and families.
• Assesses and coordinates patient's discharge planning needs with members of the healthcare team.
• Cares for patients at risk for abduction following established prevention procedures.
• Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
• Orients and mentors new staff members.
• Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Ensures that care is delivered to each patient in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act of the State of Texas and ANA Standards of Clinical Nursing Practice.
1. Performs nursing care using sound judgment.
2. Implements physician’s orders in a safe and accurate manner.
3. Assists with admitting, discharging and transferring patients.
4. Transcribes and implements new physician orders.
5. Adapts to the needs of the unit by demonstrating flexibility/adaptability.
6. Maintains detailed and accurate records of nursing actions.
7. Participates in health/therapeutic counseling, teaching/emotional support for patients and significant others.
8. Makes rounds on assigned patients and prioritizes patient’s needs.
9. Maintains a safe and clean environment for patients and co-workers.
10. Provides and receives reports in a status of patients at the change of shifts.
11. Administers medication and therapies within the scope of safe nursing practice.
12. Formulates, modifies and implements goal oriented patient care plans according to facility policies.
13. Assumes responsibility to report clinical limitations or the need for assistance to
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
15. Abides by the rules and regulations set forth by the Board of Nurse Examiners
16. Adheres to policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services.
17. Informs the charge nurse of any anticipated and/or actual issues/problems.
18. Maintains current with all new policies and procedures published.
19. Provides direction to non licensed nursing staff in the delivery of patient care.
20. Anticipates potential problems situations and intervenes to offset any adverse
21. Contacts the organ procurement organization in order to satisfy regulatory requirements
for the determination of medical suitability for organ, tissue and eye donation; completes
certificate of referral/request and places same in the medical record.
22. Plans and coordinates time schedule with peers to provide coverage.
23. Builds a positive work environment by guiding employees to support the mission of
the hospital, providing developmental opportunities and encouraging teamwork.
Ensures the distribution and delivery of equipment/supplies as necessary.
• Graduate of accredited school of nursing required
• Current registered nurse’s license in the State of Texas
• Minimum of 1yr Hospital experience in General Pediatric Unit preferred
• Current AHA or equivalent certification as a BLS for health care provider for Adult and Pediatrics
• Current ACLS or PALS certification or attained within 6 months of hire (as applicable to department)
• Current ONS or APHON provider card or attained with 1year of hire (as applicable to department)
• Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
• Customer service abilities including effective listening skills
• Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving , lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds
• Willingness to be crossed trained to other areas.
Ability to practice nursing as described by the following definition: “The diagnosis and treatment of human responses to actual or potential health alternations.” Ability to utilize the best nursing process in the provision of nursing care including but not limited to administering treatments and medications, interpreting diagnostic tests, formulating a plan of care, collaborating with other health care providers and providing education to patients and/or significant others. The successful candidate will be required to pass competencies for this position.