PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN I-FLOAT
Posted 1 week ago
Listing Type: Nursing
Employment Type: Nursing
Education Level: High School Degree Required
Experience Level: All|Experienced
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN I-FLOAT
Bryan Health · BRYAN MEDICAL CENTER
Full-time, Night shift, 1845-0715, including weekend/holiday rotation
Req # 14816
The Patient Care Technician is responsible for serving on the patient care team for an assigned area including direct patient care as an unlicensed professional and under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). The Patient Care Technician incorporates the primary job functions of a certified nursing assistant (CNA) and other duties related to the care of patients, dependent upon the work area and/or patient populations to which they are assigned. Reports to Nurse Manager, Assistant Nurse Manager, Charge Nurse, Administrative Manager or Staff RN. Employees holding nursing licensure will be held accountable to Nebraska nursing licensure requirements, and must maintain licensure or an active Nebraska CNA.
PRINCIPAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. *Commits to the mission, vision, beliefs and consistently demonstrates our core values.
2. *Recognizes and reacts to emergency procedures per role and policies/procedures.
3. *Refers all physician telephone orders to a licensed professional.
4. *Assists with patient care that is:
a. Consistent with standards of care and/or clinical priorities determined by the RN;
b. Consistent with patient care division policies and procedures, demonstrated competencies, and
with consideration given to risk management and infection control practices;
c. Consistent with the nature of the area/unit.
5. *Performs routine direct nursing care tasks according to identified age-specific patient needs which include, but are not limited to:
a. Bathing and other activities of daily living (ADLs);
b. Proper distribution of meals and feeding of patients;
c. Obtaining and recording in the clinical record (flow sheets and/or computerized record), blood
pressure, pulse, respiration, temperature, height and weight, bedside glucose results and reporting to appropriate personnel;
d. Assisting with ambulation, lifting and positioning according to procedure, including the appropriate use of patient lift devices and use of good body mechanics;
e. Assisting patient with elimination needs;
f. Emptying bedpans and catheter bags and taking appropriate measurement;
g. Giving back rubs and providing range of motion exercises;
h. Labeling patient care belongings with patient's name;
i. Assisting with transporting patients, including time of transfer and/or dismissal;
j. Charting of diet, intake and output, and bath in patient's electronic medical record;
k. Measuring of drainage including marking drainage bottles and recording drainage on
6. *Answers patient's call lights.
7. *Participates as a member of the team in Hourly Patient Rounds to proactively address patient needs.
8. *Attends to routine needs for the comfort of patients including straightening patient rooms and
refilling water pitchers.
9. *Cleans and cares for equipment and work area including
a. Straightening kitchen and utility rooms;
b. Emptying linen and trash receptacles;
c. Performing Unit errands;
d. Preparing beds/rooms for incoming patients;
e. Stocking storage areas with supplies.
10. *Provides close observation or one-to-one care, as directed by the RN, to prevent patients from wandering or potential injury.
11. *Enters patient care orders into the computer accurately and consistently according to policy and procedure.
12. *Collaborates with other departments to coordinate exams and treatments, minimizing fragmentation and enhancing patient satisfaction.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or equivalency required. Active Nebraska Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) credential required. Six (6) months CNA experience preferred. If assigned to the Emergency Department, may have an EMT certification in place of CNA.
OTHER CREDENTIALS / CERTIFICATIONS:
Basic Life Support (CPR) certification required
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Bryan Health participates in E-Verify and may provide the Social Security Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.