Magnet Program Director Registered Nurse (RN)
Posted 2 months ago
Listing Type: Nursing
Employment Type: Nursing
Education Level: MSN
Certificates: Not Stated
Experience Level: All|Experienced
Magnet Program Director Registered Nurse (RN)
Job Ref # 42963
REFER A FRIEND
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmail
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
18220 State Highway 249
Category: Nursing Management
Job Type: Full-Time
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
The NTW Magnet Program Director provides leadership, planning and coordination of programs to drive business goals, cultivating a professional practice environment, and assumes a key role in the Magnet application process, preparation, designation, maintenance and related databases. Accountable for leading change efforts in collaboration with nurse leaders and staff utilizing the ANCC Magnet framework of excellence to create and implement innovative staff engagement, systems and processes. Identifies cutting edge nursing quality indicators, developmental needs, performance improvement and research initiatives and other activities that sustain and advance a culture of excellence and serves as an ambassador of the Magnet program employing a variety of communication strategies. Collaborates with Houston Methodist system hospitals for sharing of best practices, reporting methodologies and identification of potential duplication of effort.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Develops and implements communication strategies throughout the organization/system to ensure accurate information regarding program purpose, initiatives, improvement strategies, and outcomes. (EF)
a. Supports development and adoption of standards for evidenced-based knowledge practice.
b. Manages dissemination of information around Magnet initiatives via e-mail, newsletter articles, hardcopy handbook and presentations.
c. Advances Houston Methodist¿s external image to the public in the Magnet field through external meeting attendance, publication and speaking engagements.
2. Implements change management strategies to ensure successful execution of program.
3. Demonstrates outstanding relationship skills to partner with key stakeholders to drive program success (EF)
a. Supports nursing structural empowerment through education, mentorship, consultation and team building
SERVICE - 25%
1. Plans, directs, and executes all Magnet initiatives to ensure the goals of the program are met.
a. Oversees and coordinates the Magnet application, manages the Magnet document submission, site visit and/or re-designation processes.
b. Manages the program within documented timeframe(s).
c. Maintains expertise in Magnet standards and active in identification of exemplars and collection of evidence, application development, writing and submission of all required documents.
2. Serves as a knowledge expert and resource in implementing and sustaining a shared governance environment at the unit and hospital wide level (EF)
3. Provides consultative services as needed to drive program to successful outcomes. (EF)
a. Serves as a Magnet advisor to the nursing leadership team and nursing staff and as a liaison to the ANCC Magnet office
b. Serves as a knowledge expert and resource interpreting and integrating the Magnet standards. Employs principles of continuous performance improvement to advance the profession of nursing
4. Develops materials, presentations and reports on program for Senior Leadership, Management, and front line staff, providing education, and developing strategies to respond to new program requirements and opportunities for improvement supported by external benchmarking. (EF)
a. Participates in hospital-wide committees as a designee of the Chief Nursing Officer/Executive
b. Facilitates integration of Magnet recommendations into nursing practice and outcome achievement.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Collaborates with key stakeholders to customize and manage databases responsive to nursing's needs, e.g. Magnet Recognition Program reports, demographic reports, and RN satisfaction surveys. Analyzes, synthesizes, and trends multi-year RN satisfaction survey reports and supports action plans with recommendations for hospital-wide initiatives. (EF)
2. Collaborates to ensure collection, correlation, analysis and generation of reports for detailed reporting to Senior Leadership and other key stakeholders regarding Magnet Recognition Program at facility.(EF)
a. Processes and analysis integrated quality data for Magnet application
3. Reviews changes related to the Magnet Recognition Program and facilitates integration within the hospital.(EF)
4. Monitors changes in the National Database for Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI), evidence-based practices, and current trends in nursing to make recommendations and contribute to integration within the hospital. (EF)
FINANCE - 5%
1. Manages the program within documented timeframes and within budget.
a. Drives efficiencies and quality improvements, recognizing current and future resource limitations and needs
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 25%
1. Provides and supports strategic direction and uses appropriate and evolving methodologies to drive program initiatives.
a. The NTW Magnet Program Director provides leadership and oversight to the planning, integration, implementation, and evaluation of Magnet program initiatives.
b. The NTW Magnet Program Director provides oversight to ensure that the organization milieu reflects the internalization of the five components of Magnet.
2. Develops, coordinates and evaluates programs to advance a culture of excellence, including special events, ongoing Magnet campaign and various communication strategies. (EF)
3. Assumes an active role in promoting professional and other work environment initiatives, e.g., engages and mentors nurses to advance publications and presentations. (EF)
4. Conducts literature searches and other benchmarking inquiries that substantiate evidence-based and best practices and supports research initiatives, including the design and implementation of data collection systems. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor¿s and Master¿s degree required, one degree must be in Nursing
o 5 years of experience in healthcare and/or nursing leadership.
o 3 years prior experience with project/program management in a Magnet health care setting preferred.
o High-level knowledge and experience with executing strategic programs to drive business success.
o Knowledge of Magnet standards and experience in a Magnet organization preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements.
o ANCC Magnet Recognition Program recognized professional certification and completion of Fundamentals of Magnet certification within 12 months of eligibility
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Strong proficiency in speaking, presentation skills, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security. Excellent interpersonal skills.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Strong organizational/project management skills, excellent critical synthesis and problem-solving skills
o Knowledgeable of adult learning principles
o Well versed in computer skills of the entire Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word)
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.